Following his graduation in 1998 with a degree in Illustration from the University of Swindon, England, he pursued his studies by enrolling at The Florence Academy in 1999. While studying, he was invited to assist teaching and later became the director of the drawing program, before moving on to being a principal instructor in the advanced painting program.
His positions included:
• Assistant in the beginner & intermediate drawing program
• Director of drawing in the sculpture department
• Senior instructor in the intermediate and advanced painting program
After 12 years in Florence, his main focus alternates between figurative and landscape works.
Upon leaving Florence in 2010, He was welcomed at the oceanographic museum of Monaco, for a solo exhibition celebrating its centenary. He now paints on various commissions from his studio in Monaco, and hosts summer workshops for the FAA at Stowe school, in England.
Inspired by various masters from the 17th and 19th century, Toby believes in the method of working from life to capture that intangible magic that happens between the subject and the artist's eye. He pursues the language of the human form in his figurative work, occasionally offering a narrative with symbolic motifs, while his "plein-air" work strives to make us connect with the space around us. His paintings are in galleries and private collections across Europe and America.
Exhibitions and events include:
• ARC salon 2011, 3rd place award, figurative.
• Eleanor Ettinger gallery, New york.
• Oceanographic museum of Monaco.
• Forbes gallery, New York.
• Ann long fine arts, Charleston, South Carolina.
• Grenning gallery, Sag harbor NY.
• Gallerie Michael, Rodeo drive, LA.
• Patterson gallery, London, UK.
• Solomon gallery, Dublin, Ireland.
A selection of my figurative paintings, oil on canvas, all done from life, NO photography
outdoor paintings, from life, NO photography
oil on canvas, done from life, NO photography