Location: United States
N H A T T R A N
• 2015 Guest Researcher, Urushi Lacquering Section in the Department of Crafts, Faculty of Fine Arts, Kyoto City University of the Arts, Kyoto, Japan (Oct.–Dec.)
• 2010 Guest Researcher, Urushi Section in the Department of Crafts, Tokyo University of the Arts (Geidai), Tokyo, Japan (April–July)
• 1987–1992 Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Fine Arts, in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Graduation with highest distinction
• 1978–1983 School of Art, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
• 2009 Panelist for the Indiana Arts Commission (visual arts)
• 2003–present Teaching Artist, VSA arts of Indiana (VSAI), Indianapolis
• 2001 Associate Instructor, Herron School of Art, Indiana University, Indianapolis
• 2006–08 The Indianapolis Airport Authority: commissioning of a large urushi lacquer mural, On the Tip of Our Wings, completed in September 2008 and inaugurated in October 2008, for the New Indianapolis Airport (Col. H. Weir Cook Terminal).
• 2013 Hubei Museum of Art, Wuhan, Hubei, China: The Rule of Nature
• 2011 Wabash College Permanent Collection, Crawfordsville, IN: Between Right and Wrong
• 2009 The Greater Lafayette Museum of Art, Lafayette, IN: What Are You Fighting For?
• 2005 The Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, IN: Fragile Words
• 2005 The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC: Points of Light, Points of Might
• 2003 The Ohr–O’Keefe Museum of Art, Biloxi, MS: Conversation with a Child (stolen)
• 2003 National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, DC: Emerald Embeddings
• 2001 Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC: A Bouquet for You
RECENT HONORS & AWARDS
• 2015 Awardee, 2015-2016 Round of High Art Billboard Project (Arts Council of Indianapolis and Clear Channel Outdoor)
• 2015 Grant from the Asian Cultural Council in support of the fall trip to Kyoto
• 2015 Guest Researcher position, Kyoto City University of Arts, Japan
• 2012 TOSCA’s Indiana Artist of the Year (Twin Cities arts guide, “Theatre Opera Shakespeare Cul-ture Art,” The American Artists Series)
• 2010 Guest researcher scholarship, Tokyo University of the Arts, Japan
• 2009 Recipient of a Creative Renewal Arts Fellowship from the Arts Council of Indianapolis
• 2008 Second Prize, IDADA Fourth Annual Member Exhibition, Pivot Gallery, Indianapolis
• 2006 Recognition by the City-County Council of Indianapolis and Marion County, Indiana
RECENT SOLO EXHIBITIONS
• 2013–14 The Art of Nhat Tran. Curated by the Meridian Street Foundation. Tarkington Tower, Indianap-olis, IN, Nov.– Feb. 2014
• 2013 Nhat Tran. See the Unseen. Curated by D. Kadlec. Jacksson Gallery, Columbus, IN, June–July
• 2013 Nhat Tran. Urushi Lights. Curated by S. Digwerth. Richmond Art Museum, IN, Jan.– March
• 2012 Nhat Tran. Urushi Lights. Curated by J. Points. Eye on Art Gallery, Carmel, IN, Nov.– Dec.
• 2012 Orchestral Collage. Curated by S. Linker. Gallery 924, Indianapolis, IN, Jan.–Feb.
• 2011 Unveiled Layers: Exhibition by Nhat Tran. Curated by M. Atwell. Fine Arts Center, Wabash College, IN, Feb.–April
RECENT GROUP EXHIBITIONS
• 2016 200 Years of Indiana Art: A Cultural Legacy. Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, IN, March–October
• 2014 The Contemporary Landscape Show. Curated by S. Linker. Gallery 924, Indianapolis, June.
• 2013 World of Great Lacquer: Origin and Flows. 2013 Hubei International Triennial of Lacquer Art, Hubei Museum of Art, Wuhan, Hubei, China. Invited artist. Sep.–Nov.
• 2013 Asian Lacquer Exhibition. Burchfield Penney Art Center, SUNY Buffalo State, NY, May
• 2012 Resonant Uruwashi: New Vibrance in International Women’s Urushi Art. Curated by S. Matshushima and F. Sasai. Tokyo Yamawaki Gallery; Kyoto Gallery of Kyoto City Universi-ty of Arts; Fukushima Kitakata City Museum of Art. Sept.– Nov.
• 2012 2012 World Ottchil Art Exhibition. Exhibition Hall of Daegu Gyeongbuk Design Center, South Korea. Hosted by the Korea Ott chil Arts Council. June
• 2011 Female Urushi Artists’ Solidarity with the People of Tohoku. Curated by S. Matshushima and F. Sasai. Aizu Fukushima Urushi Art Festival, Aizuwakamatsu City, Japan, Oct.–Nov.
• 2011 The Culture of Lacquer. Tainan International Treechi Art Exhibition, Chon Yei Arts Center, Tainan, Taiwan. July–Nov.
• 2011 Facing East: Contemporary Asian Art. Selected Works. Sundaram Tagore Gallery, New York, NY. March–April
• 2010 World of Lacquer. Material, Process, Spirit. 2010 Hubei International Lacquer Triennial, Hubei Museum of Art, Wuhan, Hubei, China. Invited artist. Sep.–Oct.
• 2010 Walking from the Age of Hemudu. Third International Exhibition of Chi Art, Fujian Art Muse-um, Fuzhou City, Fujian, China. May–June
• 2009 Making It in the Midwest: Artists Who Chose to Stay. Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, IN, June–Oct.
• 2009 Mind and Matter: 21st Century Indiana Art. Indiana State Museum, Indianapolis, IN, March–May