Location: United States
Garry D Harley Artist www.GarryHarleySTUDIOS.com
STUDIO : Western Avenue Studios Building
122 Western Avenue / Studio #309-Box #106
Lowell, Massachusetts 01851
HarleyArch@AOL.com (978) 455-2197 (978) 509-9354 Mobile USA
Bachelor of Architecture, University of Nebraska
Master of Architecture, University of Pennsylvania
Master of City Planning, University of Pennsylvania
Registered Architect - Massachusetts
Featured Artist – www.OP-ART.co.UK
Photographs selected to help illustrate new book, Authors Ann Sussman & Justin B Hollander, Book titled Cognitive Architecture – Designing for How We Respond to the Built Environment, Routledge Publisher – 2015 – 192 pages
Boston BNN TV Channel 9 – It’s All About the Arts / Interview related to Opening of Show at Neiman Marcus-Copley / Place-Boston – 2013; Show tilted LOOK AGAIN (Op-ART Paintings)
Boston BNN TV Channel 9 – It’s All About the Arts / Interview related to Opening of Show at Neiman Marcus-Copley Place-Boston - 2010?; Show titled Blue Hour Dreams of Special Italian Places – Solo Show-Photographs
Bostonian of the Day (Artist) in Panorama Magazine - 2012
Current Member – Western Avenue Studios, Lowell, Massachusetts, The Loading Dock Gallery
Former Member - Canvas Fine Arts Group, Boston, Massachusetts
Former Member, Artists’ CO-OP Art Gallery, Omaha, Nebraska
Former Display Artist, Walnuts Gallery (now closed), Philadelphia, PA
Harley works in various media including OP-ART prints (Archival Ink on Paper), OP-ART Paintings (Archival Ink on Canvas), Mixed-media Drawings, three-dimensional Sculpture and Photographs.
Selected Recent Shows (Partial List):
• NEXT 2014 by PrintMatters NATIONAL JURIED SHOW, Houston, Texas, print image titled Grey Crevice #3 (Archival Ink on Paper) accepted for display in group show, Juried by Yizhak Elyashiv, artist, printmaker, faculty member Rhode Island School of Design, June 2014.
• BEAUMONT ART LEAGUE NATIONAL JURIED EXHIBITION 2014, Beaumont, Texas – two print images titled Grey Crevice #1, (Archival Ink and Pencil on Paper) and Surface #1 (Archival Ink on Paper) accepted for display in group show, Juror – Texas contemporary artist Vera Barnett, May 2014.
• 32nd ANNUAL FABER BIRREN NATIONAL COLOR AWARD SHOW, print image titled Red Cube Gold Frame, Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, October 2012 - Juror - Ian Alteveer, Assnt Curator Dept. of Modern & Contemporary Art, The Metropolitan Museum, New York, NY, Group Show.
• 33rd ANNUAL FABER BIRREN NATIONAL COLOR AWARD SHOW, canvas image titled Yellow Beach Red Tide (Archival Ink on Canvas), Stamford Art Association, Stamford, CT, October 2013 - Juror – Derek Leka-Artist and Instructor at Silvermine and SUNY Purchase, New York; Group Show.
• SCOTTSDALE BIENNALE / Wee Gallery of Fine Art, Scottsdale, Arizona, print image titled Yellow Beach Red Tide (Archival Ink on Canvas), October 2013 – Entry received Award for Exceptional Merit.
• NEIMAN-MARCUS-Copley Place, Boston, (8 large images), solo show, June thru September 2013, show titled LOOK AGAIN
• OP-ART.co.uk – selected as featured artist on UK based web site devoted to Op-Art artists, 2013.
• TIMES SQUARE ART SHOW-DACIA GALLERY / NYC, Group Show, Harley’s portion consisted of (8) Images / OP-ART Paintings and Prints (Paper), 9 November 2013.
• UFORGE GALLERY, Canvas Fine Arts Members Group Show titled BLUE SHOW, April 2012, Large OP-ART Print (36” x 36”) (Image printed on photographic paper, Jamaica Plains, MA.
Mixed Media Drawings:
• ART SHOW on BROADWAY-DACIA GALLERY / NYC, Group Show, Harley's portion titled ALIENATION, Graphic Drawings & Large Canvas (Archival Ink on Canvas & Paper), NYC, 17 November 2012.
• GREENBELT’S ART IN THE BARN-2014 Juried Show, Five images accepted for display in juried group show, show organized by Essex County’s Land Trust, Essex, Massachusetts, June 12-15, 2014,
• NEIMAN MARCUS-COPLEY PLACE-BOSTON, Dec 2011 thru February 2012, show titled BLUE HOUR DREAMS of SPECIAL ITALIAN PLACES / Photographs.
• MASS GENERAL HOSPITAL CANCER CENTER / Boston, Photographs part of juried show titled ILLUMINATIONS, June thru August 2012.
• THOMAS MOSER BOSTON SHOWROOM GALLERY, Canvas Fine Arts Solo Show, January thru March 2012, show titled STRUCTURED COLOR / photographs, Boston, MA.
• EAST MEETS WEST; Group Show – ArtScape with Emerson Umbrella Community Galley – Concord, Massachusetts, 2012
• BROOKLINE ITALIAN DESIGN SHOWROOM, Canvas Fine Arts Solo Show titled THE ITALIAN EDGE, photographs, September thru December 2012, Brookline, MA.
• NASHOBA BROOK BAKERY COMMUNITY GALLERY, Solo Show, photographs, November-December 2012, West Concord, MA.
• NASHOBA BROOK BAKERY COMMUNITY GALLERY, Solo Show, OP-ART Prints & photographs, July thru October 2013, West Concord, MA.
• FRENCH CULTURAL CENTER-BOSTON, Solo Show / photographs, show titled CHAMPAGNE & CALVADOS, December 2012.
• EMERSON UMBRELLA Center for the Arts / LIMINAL : The Space Between, January-March 2012, Exhibition of Contemporary Photography, Group Show, Concord, Massachusetts, Juror – Barbara Hitchcock.
These images are original prints created as part of a series using monochromic values and selective areas of accent colors to create an visual illusion of space, light, movement and depth. Each final print image has been issued in a limited series of five.
This series of prints is part of a larger group of images (The Crevice Series), using curvilinear shapes arranged in a square, each curvilinear shape has a shade selected from an adjacency matrix such as to present visual tension.
The tools used in creating these prints were digital, the printing method is digital printing using archival ink on watercolor paper.
Graham Wallas (The Art of Thought) suggests that the creation process includes… preparation, incubation, inspiration, and elaboration. Of these, my work has been inspired by the works of Josef Albers, Anuszkiewicz, Birren and others and rests on the foundation set forth in The Principals of Harmony and Contrast of Colors and Their Application to the Arts (1855), by Michel E. Chevreul and Charles Martel.
This original application and contemporary visual presentation in this print, is my own personal version of beauty and perfection – this work is from my own experience, capability, efforts and soul. The viewer must bring his or her own emotions to make the final connection and find meaning.
Garry D Harley, Lowell, Massachusetts 2014 ©